UNSC presidential statement calls on Myanmar to end excessive military force

NEW YORK – The United Nations UN Security Council (UNSC) has unanimously adopted the Presidential Statement on the current situation in Myanmar and called on the Myanmar government to end the excessive military force and inter-communal violence in Rakhine state, reports BSS.

The Security Council on Monday afternoon also urged the implementation of agreed-upon mechanisms to assist the return of those who have fled and to ensure access to humanitarian aid.

President of the UNSC and also Italy’s permanent representative Sebastiano Cardi read out the statement, which was taken up by the UNSC (November 6) as the most important step. The statement will be recorded specifically in the Security Council as an adopted document, according to an official statement from the Bangladesh’s permanent mission in New York.

The statement strongly condemned violence and abuses that had taken place since August 25, displacing more than 607,000 people, the vast majority Rohingya, and citing reports of systematic killing, sexual violence and destruction of homes, according to a UN release.

Stressing upon the primary responsibility of the government of Myanmar to protect its population, the council emphasized the importance of reform in security and justice sectors in the country’s transition to democracy. It urged the government to work with Bangladesh and the United Nations to allow the voluntary return of refugees in conditions of safety and dignity to their homes, on the basis of a 24 October Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the two countries.

The council urged the government to ensure that the mechanism supported such return and allowed United Nations agencies full access. In that context, it urged the governments and all humanitarian partners to pay special attention to the needs of women, particular survivors of sexual violence.

The presidential statement requested the UN Secretary-General to continue negotiations with the Myanmar government regarding the appointment of a special advisor to the crisis. He also requested to continue his diplomatic efforts.

It reiterated concerns and demands previously laid out to bring an end to excessive military force in Rakhine province, a lack of humanitarian access for the UN, a right of return for refugees, and steps to address the root causes of the conflict.

The presidential statement said that the Security Council is committed to monitoring continue the situation in Myanmar. The UN secretary-general has also been requested to give a statement in the Security Council on Myanmar situation after 30 days of accepting the Presidential Statement.

It praised Bangladesh’s role in the humanitarian assistance of Myanmar citizens of forced displacement from Myanmar’s Rakhine province and condemned the violence in the Rakhine province since August 25.

Bangladesh and Myanmar were given the opportunity to speak at the meeting. Bangladesh’s permanent representative and ambassador to the UN, Masud Bin Momen thanked the Security Council for taking the presidential statement unanimously to resolve the crisis.

He said, “We are always ready to resolve the crisis and we are doing what we do. But our experience said that it is not possible to resolve the issue bilaterally unless the international community, particularly the Security Council, takes appropriate responsibility in this regard.

Ambassador Masud recommended taking three steps in the present situation. First: to provide uninterrupted humanitarian assistance in the North Rakhine Province, so that the few remaining Rohingya people are still there to flee from there, second: Joint working group of Bangladesh and Myanmar must be visible for successful repatriation and the union enterprise will have to take real action on this matter and the third, the recommendations of the Kofi Annan Commission will be implemented in full.


Top