Cairo clashes kill four as Morsi family to sue army

CAIRO: Clashes between supporters and opponents of Mohamed Morsi killed four people on Monday as the ousted Egyptian president’s family vowed to sue the army over his ouster, reports BSS.
At least 28 people were also injured in the violence between the rival groups of demonstrators in Cairo and the nearby town of Qalyub, emergency services said. Elsewhere a police officer and a civilian were killed, and four soldiers injured in a series of attacks in the northern Sinai district, medical and security sources said.
The latest bloodshed came as Morsi’s family said they planned to sue the military for having “kidnapped” the elected president, who has been in custody since the July 3 coup.
It came despite an appeal by the army-installed civilian caretaker government for demonstrators to show restraint after weeks of nationwide demonstrations and deadly violence in the Sinai Peninsula.
Shaimaa Mohamed Morsi, the toppled president’s daughter, told a news conference that the family was planning to take legal action in Egypt and abroad.
“We are taking local and international legal measures against Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the leader of the bloody military coup, and his putschist group,” she said of the army chief.
She voiced dismay at “the silence of rights organisations and civil society over the crime of kidnapping the legitimate president,” whose election in June last year was widely regarded as Egypt’s first free vote for a leader.
The family held General Sisi responsible for Morsi’s safety.
Morsi has been detained at an unknown location since his overthrow.
Morsi’s son Osama said the family had not heard from him since. “None of us has had any contact with our father since the afternoon of the coup on July 3,” he told reporters.
The United States and Germany have led international calls for Morsi’s release.